February 19, 2008

February 19, 1918: The Flat Hat

The February 19, 1918, issue of The Flat Hat shared more details of the activities of the previous week's meeting of the College of William and Mary's Board of Visitors, including mention of the endorsement of the Strode Bill. There was no commentary from the student newspaper on the BOV's decision at that time.

The Flat Hat is a rich source of information, announcing events taking place on campus as well as reflecting student opinion. It began publication in October 1911 and, except during the fall of 1918, has been continuously published ever since. Until a few years ago, library staff indexed the The Flat Hat (as well as the Alumni Gazette and the William and Mary News) by subject and personal name. This index is still available as a card file in the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) for public use. All three of these publications are available in the SCRC in Swem Library on microfilm and in paper format. Contact the staff of the SCRC for further information or search assistance (spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090).

The Flat Hat
is available online from the Special Collections Research Center. All issues from September 1939 through May 1950 and most issues from August 2004 through February 2007 are available for browsing and keyword searching online. The remaining issues from 1911 through April 1990 and August 1992 through March 1999 are available for browsing only at present. Current issues of The Flat Hat can be found online at http://www.flathatnews.com/.

For additional information about the first women students at the College of William and Mary see: When Mary Entered with her Brother William: Women at the College of William and Mary, 1918-1945 by Laura F. Parrish; "The Petticoat Invasion": Women at the College of William and Mary, 1918-1945; The Martha Barksdale Papers; and the Women at the College of William and Mary page on the Special Collections Research Center Wiki.

No comments: